This recipe will get all your friends asking for your methods, this is one of the first things I made when I got an ice cream machine and it is still my favourite, best eaten within a few days but Im sure that it would last a few weeks at least. The key to this recipe is make sure that the cookies get a while to soak up the vanilla goodness before going into the ice cream machine, I suggest around 20 minutes.
6 Egg Yokes
4 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint (568ml) double cream
170g Sugar (Caster or granulated)
Roughly 12 small cookies
- Put Vanilla extract and milk in a pan and bring close to boil, then leave to cool or sit in iced/cold water to speed it up.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar very well in a bowl, then stir in the milk once cooled.
- Put cookies into a bag and break up with a rolling pin, ensuring for varied (but fairly small) sizes.
- Put into a glass bowl and place over a pan of boiling water, you can also gently cook in the pan directly but be careful to not let it boil. Heat until it starts to thicken (around 30 mins).
- Leave custard mix to cool and then add the cream, at the same time add the crushed cookies.
- Put mixture into ice cream machine, you may need to do 2 batches if you have a smaller ice cream machine like me.
- Once the ice cream is a soft ball in the machine then transfer into a container and freeze.